April 15, 2012

Happy 18th Birthday to Cagney!

I recently met a wonderpurr Golden Girl by the name of Cagney. She's lovely! Smart, affectionate and I wanted everyone to know today, April 15th, is her 18th birthday. Please welcome @Cagneythecat

Today is your 18th birthday! Concatulations! How old were you when you moved in with your family? Were you a rescue?
I was a rescue kitty – I was about three months when Mom found me and Lacey at an adoption day at our town’s library. She saw Lacey first – she was in the same cage as a bigger cat who was hassling her, so Mom, who was only window shopping that day and had no intention of getting a kitty, offered to hold her for a bit. Lacey started purring and cuddling against Mom’s neck and that did it. She knew 2 kittens would keep one another company, so we started looking around. Once they saw my cute face, it was history!

The adoption folks claimed we were from the same litter – but when we checked in with our vet, he said Lacey was maybe 3 months older. I don’t mind – whatever it takes to get kitties into forever home is fair game.

My first vet helped Mom to figure out our ages when Lacey and I were adopted. Of course we didn’t know for sure, so we set it so Lacey was born January 15 and I was born April 15. (The year was 1994!)

What breed of PET are you?

An old fashioned American domestic shorthair. BUT, I am also known as a tortie with white, or as Mom says, a tortie tuxedo – I have white mittens and bib…and a black necklace. Very fashionable!


What inspired your Mom to name you?
She loves the old Cagney and Lacey TV show about two NYC policewomen. She says the names were perfect. Lacey is very maternal, just like the TV character, while I am a troublemaker and curious about everything, like the original Cagney.

Your sister Lacey went OTRB. How long were you together? Please tell me about her.
We were together for 15 wonderful years. Lacey was so special! She was a beautiful full tortie with the most gorgeous green-gold eyes! She had a very sweet personality but had a broken meow – she would say “meow” but make no noise. A famous author, Paul Gallico, once wrote a book about cats called The Silent Meow. That was Lacey: she could not MOL! She loved to groom me and we both played lots with catnip mousies, balls and Da Bird. We always napped together and never fought. She got sick very quickly when she was 15, three years ago. The vet tried really hard but could not save her. She went out with the full moon, and now every month with the full moon, Mom and I wave to Lacey who’s waving from the Rainbow Bridge and we tell her how much we love her and miss her.
LACEY

Do you have any other siblings? Do you get along?
It’s just me and Mom now.

How would you describe your personality?
Friendly, even with strangers. Intensely curious about everything. Very vocal when I have something to say. Cuddly – I love sleeping with Mom.

Do you have a mischief incident that is still talked about with your family?
Mom says my entire life has been a mischief incident - it’s hard to single out any one thing!

Do you have any health issues?
I was doing pretty good until about a year ago. The vet says my kidneys are going bad, but for now I am holding my own. And I have terrible arthritis in my back legs. But I don’t let that stop me!

What things does your Mom do to help you in your golden years?
Mom just bought me special stairs so I can climb up on her bed. And not only does she sprinkle my food with medicine to help with my arthritis, but she also takes me to the vet for acupuncture treatments! They work and my legs feel better for some time after each treatment!

Do you like to be brushed, have your nails trimmed?
I love being brushed but you have GOT to be kidding about nail trimming! MOL!

What is your relationship like with your veterinarian?
For the past 10 years I‘ve had a lady vet who (looks around to see who is listening) I really like! She knows a lot and is specially trained to give acupuncture treatments. She and her staff always make a fuss over me and really don’t mind that I display my tortie ways for the entire appointment - I yowl loudly and continually throughout…except when I am getting the acupuncture treatments. I sit quietly for those.

Do you like certain hoomans outside of your family?
I love every hooman I meet. It usually takes me just five minutes or so before I climb up on someone’s lap for a snooze!

What are your favorite foods and toys?
I need to have a special diet for my kidneys, but the vet says I can have one Greenie a day as a treat. Yum! I don’t play as much as when I was younger, but Mom still can get me going with Da Bird or another toy on a string.

When did you join Twitter and what clubs do you belong to?
I joined two years ago and am a member of The Pink Angels and The Ladies of Autumn (so is Lacey, from the Bridge).

What are you known for on Twitter by your Anipal furends? 
Just being there to join in celebrating the happy times and to comfort Anipals facing rough or sad times.

Do you have a blog or a Facebook page?
No, I just Tweet. You may have seen Mom’s comments on other kitties’ blogs: her pen name is Webbthistle.

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about you that I didn’t know to ask?
Mom says in addition to being a good sleeping buddy, I am also her alarm clock – I always wake her up at 6, which is when she needs to get ready for work. Of course, I do that on weekends too, as calendars aren’t my thing. So when she wakes up on weekends, she just gets brekkie for both of us and then we both snooze some more!

Don't Mess Wif Me!