June 11, 2012

Meet Kendall Katz



Please meet my pal @KendallKatz.  Hims an Angel as of August 6, 2010, and joins my other beloved pals who went Over The Rainbow Bridge.

How old were you when you moved in with your family? Were you a rescue?

Mom spotted me one night at a construction site she was patrolling. After two weeks of getting me to trust her (to a point) she was able to trap me. On my first vet visit, they said I was probably around 8 weeks old.

What breed of cat are you?

DSH, tabby, brown with orange highlights.

What inspired your pawrents to name you?

Kendall is the name of one of Mom’s childhood friends.


Do you have siblings? Do you get along?

I pretty much got along with all the other cats that passed through our house. The last group of cats around when I went OTRB on 6 Aug 10 were Walter, Kimmie, Honey Brown, Ted and Isabella. Kimmie went OTRB Aug of last year, so it’s just the four of them left. We also have Abby, the golden retriever, and Dexter, the Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

How would you describe your personality?

I was just a sweet, sweet boy. Had a quiet meower. Loved sitting on Mom’s lap or killing my scratching post.  
 Do you have a mischief incident that is still talked about with your family?

Oh yeah. I was around a year and a half old when Mom moved across the county. At the new place, she would let me out under supervision. Next door, the neighbor would tie out their poodle for a while. I went and laid in the grass just beyond the reach of the poodle, just watching him. Drove him nuts.

Tell me about an Awww moment.

I had an Awww habit. I’d lay across Mom and flop my head back so I could gaze into her eyes. She’d give me lots of kisses on the head til finally I had enough and would hop down. She just loved it when I did that.

Did you have many health issues?

I had eyesight issues. My pupils were not vertical, they canted in from the top. Would always crack up the other Mom when I’d jump up in her lap and look at her funny, as if to say, “Whoa. you are not the right human.” Then I’d go find the right mom.

Did you like to be brushed, have your nails trimmed?

My coat was soft and sleek, didn’t need brushing. No, I didn’t like nail trimming.

What was your relationship like with your veterinarian?

We got along well for the most part. He’d sometimes have to pull me out of the carrier if I was really sick but usually we’d arrive in the room and Mom would open the door. Curiosity brought me out, had to explore the office. Always happy to run back in when done.
 
What were your favorite foods and toys?

I really had a thing for corn. Mom sometimes sniffed me when hugging me, said I smelled like corn chips between the shoulder blades. Because of my poor vision I didn’t really play with toys too much but I LOVED my scratching post. I’d wrap my paws around it and kick the crap out of it. 


What was your birth date, or Gotcha Day date?

My Gotcha Day was sometime in August of 1996, so my birthday was in June.

When did you join Twitter and what clubs do you belong to?

Joined Twitter 30 Oct 2008 but didn’t really get involved with it until around Oct 2011. I belong to #WLF and #BBOT

What are you known for on Twitter by your Anipal furends?

Hmm. I’m not sure. Perhaps maybe having too big of a heart because I get choked up and leaky eyed at every report of another anipal going OTRB. But then I’m right there to greet them as they cross over.
 
Is there anything you’d like to tell us about you that I didn’t know to ask?

Just that I was allowed out but never went far and I loved to lie in the grass.


INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR LISA LITTLE

Tell me about yourself, outside of your passion for animals, such as your family, hobbies and interests.

I live with my partner of almost 15 years, Lynne. She has four girls, the eldest graduated from college last year, one will be a junior in the fall, one will be entering as a freshman, and her twin has high-functioning autism. We're in the process of transitioning her from high school (the twins have just graduated) into a supervised work environment. 

I enjoy reading (and purchased a Kindle Fire to both read and check tweets), grilling on the weekends, listening to music, and fixing things (I can jury rig with the best of them).

What type of work do you do?

I work in an academic library, in the Interlibrary Loan Dept. I handle the mail and process the books that come from other libraries.

Are you an outdoor person, or an indoor person, and why?

More an indoor person. For one, I am fair complected and burn easily. Also, it’s hard for me to do any strenuous activities as my knees aren’t in good shape. My main outdoor activity is the grilling and maybe mowing the lawn.

Do you blog or Facebook? Tell me about it and give addresses.

I have a Facebook page, just search Lisa D. Little. You’ll know you have me as my profile picture is the one of Kendall napping on the shoes (my background on Twitter). I did that so any Twitter anipals on Facebook could easily identify me.

What is your favorite book, favorite author?

Oh my. So many. I guess the all-time favorite author is Larry Niven. Really enjoyed his Ringworld series.

What TV shows do you enjoy?

Favorite show right now is Once Upon A Time. Also enjoy the two Tuesday night NCIS shows.

What type of music do you enjoy? What is your favorite song?

I like all sorts of music but lately I’ve been listening to Trance and Symphonic Metal (Within Temptation my favorite band of that genre). My favorite song at the moment is called Here I Confess by Sleepthief. Really touches my heart for some reason.

Do you travel? What is the most memorable vacation you’ve ever taken?

Haven’t traveled since moving to Arkansas almost 15 years ago. Memorable vacation? Hmm. I’d have to say visiting the nation’s capital back in 1991. Spent a week there seeing everything I could, though you would need another week or more to truly see all the sights.

Tell me about your town and what makes it special to you.

I live in a small town (pop. about 2600) in the northwest corner of Arkansas. We chose to live out here because of how quiet it is. There is a small farm at the back of our property with a couple horses, cows, a donkey and at least one dog (Pembroke Welsh Corgi). Ted is the one cat who goes outside and we’re sure he goes to the farm to hang out with the horses.

Have you ever traveled with your pet? If so, please give me an adventure story.

The only time we really traveled was when I moved from California to Arkansas. I had four cats with me in my pickup. Mama Cat, Smokey, Kira and Kendall. The second day I drove from Kingman, AZ to Vega, TX (about 30 miles west of Amarillo), which took 13 hours. I was trying to make it to Amarillo but there’d been a huge snow storm and I was not used to driving on snow. Got the cats settled in a room for the night at a motel. Next morning, Smokey was determined to NOT get into the carrier. He ended up hiding inside the frame of the bed and I had to dismantle the bed to get him out.

Tell me about your first pet, and how many have you had in your lifetime?

My childhood is a bit fuzzy but the first cats I recall were a tuxedo kitty and a white kitty and their names were Big Puss and Little Puss. Wow, how many altogether? I’d have to say a good twenty-some-odd cats have touched my life. There’s been seven dogs. Had a stint of having six chickens, a couple birds and some fish, too.

Why did you choose Kendall to Tweet for instead of another pet?

Because he was my boy; and, initially, Lynne had concerns about privacy upon joining Twitter so we chose to tweet as cats and add the “Katz” to the end of our names.

Do you have other Twitter accounts?

Yes, I also facilitate Walter’s acct (@WalterKatz15) and my personal acct (@lisalittle60). I sometimes help Lynne with her acct. She’s @GardenKatz, and Honey Brown is her avi. One of our daughters, Julia, is @KiraKatz, though she tweets, albeit infrequently, as herself and not as Kira. I’ve been encouraged to open a Twitter for Ted, a suggestion which I’ve taken under advisement.

What is a typical day for you, starting when your pets want breakfast?

The twins are tasked with making sure the animals are fed and watered. Cats are fed twice a day, the dogs once. So, the cats get our attention around 6:30 to 7. I get up at that time, too. Get myself ready then help Lynne get ready for work. Do my library thing from 8:30 to 5:00. Head home and prepare dinner. All animals are fed dinner between 5 and 5:30. After dinner I get on the computer or watch tv, always with one or more cats on or near me. Then we tend to hit the rack around 11.

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about you that I didn’t know to ask?

Just that I really, really enjoy the interaction of folks on Twitter. There are some “wonderpurr” people out there and it’s an honor and privilege to have them as friends. I look forward to the day I can retire so I can spend even more time chatting on there.

Thankew so much Kendall and his mom, Lisa, for giving such a great intermew. See you on Twitter! 

Don't Mess Wif Me!