September 6, 2012

MEET MR PIE!



The Wonderpurr Mr. Pie

Who doesn't love pie? Especially when pie is a lovable tuxedo kitteh named @Mr_Pie. It is my proud pleasure to bring you a most excellent intermew wif my wonderpurr furend, Mr Pie!

How old were you when you moved in with your family? Were you a rescue?
When I moved in with my sister, we were both 49 days old. We were rescued by Sandbach animal rescue as we’d been found in a hedge in Haslington, near Crewe. Our Mum was with us and we were a litter of 4 altogether. It was during the storms of October 2000 when we were born.

What breed are you?
I’m a moggie or domestic short-haired cat.

What inspired your pawrents to name you?
My folks gave us both Christmas themed named because we were adopted around Christmas time. My folks thought that would be easier as they would have more time to help us to settle in over a holiday period. My full name is Mince Pie, and my sister’s full name is Christmas Pudding. We also like the fact that we can be linked to the children’s nursery rhyme: Georgie Porgy Pudding and Pie – although we didn’t know I was to become a bit of a fatty.

Do you have siblings? Do you get along?
Yes, I live with my sister Pudding, we used to sleep in the same bed together when we were little but now we’re rarely seen sharing a bed unless it’s very cold. She tolerates me, as she is the clever one in our family. I like living with her and I love her really. She loves me too I think, but has to keep me in my place. We often play fight but I would never hurt her.
Pudding and Pie


How would you describe your personality?
I’m one of the most easy-going cats around. I’m sensitive to moods and very laid back (apart from when we have unannounced visitors) I’m a little shy when we had a lot of journalist’s from the BBC and the television companies wanting to photograph me during Pet Fit club. (A national slimming competition run by the PDSA). I willingly walk onto the scales for my weigh-ins without being told and I have never hissed, spat, clawed even when being examined or treated at the v*ts. I’m willing to please wherever I can.

Do you have a mischief incident that is still talked about with your family?
I once got stuck under a fence due to my fat tummy.
There are a series of cat flaps to be negotiated when I want to go to the front garden.
My sister and I are both allowed to come and go through the cat flap in the back kitchen door as it’s never locked. This gives us access to the back yard and from there, we can get to the front garden by using another cat flap to get into the front garden.

Ken, the joiner was working on the fence where my cat flap was and he put his tool bag and some tools over my cat flap entrance so I couldn’t get back into the house. I didn’t know Ken very well and when he turned to get a tool out of his bag, I panicked.
I needed to get back into the house quickly so I tried to squeeze myself UNDER the fence.
I shoved my head down between the fence bottom and the gravel underneath. Then I got more scared and pushed harder. My head was under the fence so I pushed harder still, until I was stuck under the fence. I felt it was a bit uncomfortable, so I rotated my head but I ended up with my paws in the air, on my back and my tummy wedged in the gap between the bottom of the fence and the gravel. With my back legs flailing around and kicking, Ken was alarmed that I was having kittens. He phoned my folks and told them he was worried about a cat that was having kittens under a fence and described ME to them! He grabbed my back legs and pulled hard to free me. I shot out and struggled to get free from his arms. He calmed me down, but I was too embarrassed to stay around to thank him.

When a National newspaper (The Daily Telegraph) and local television stations heard about it, they broadcast my story to the world. I was SO embarrassed. (The shame!)

Oh no! And now you get to relive it all over again here in this intermew! But we Anipals are sensitive (most of the time) and will never tease you about it…much. Tell me about an Awww moment.
I escaped out of my garden as a young lad. I know it was wrong and that made me even more upset that I had done it. I hadn’t gone far – only across a busy country road but I was too frightened to make the journey back. I just stayed with my head down under the Hawthorn hedge and waited for them to find me. It had been raining for several hours and they hadn’t found me but I could see them climbing on the shed roof and shouting my name. I just sat there with my eyes going blacker and blacker until I started to cry. I felt weak and upset about the whole thing. I wanted to go home and I needed them to come and help me but I wasn’t brave enough to tell them where I was. After about 8 hours, I was feeling worse so I watched with tears in my eyes as they were wandering up and down the road with torches. They were calling my name, especially my Mum and my big sister. They were moving really, really slowly and they were SO close to me. When I heard my mum say “Come on Pie, where are you? It’s okay, c’mon Pie” I finally spoke out. I blurted out a really weak ‘Mew’ and watched as she walked straight past me. I’m black and it was getting darker. Then she told my Dad and my big human sister to be QUIET! She started walking back to me and said she thought she had heard something. I mewed again and she saw me. I couldn’t stand I was so weak and so shocked. She gathered me up in her arms and thought I’d been hit by a car as I was all floppy. She carried me back to my house and kissed me and cuddled me all the way there. She was talking to me and my Dad and my human sister were making a big fuss of me. When they put me on the floor to see if I was ok, I couldn’t walk. My legs just collapsed and they suspected a car had hit me. They called the v*t and said could they bring in a Road Traffic Accident incident. I wasn’t having that. I started walking after an hour and there was nothing wrong with me at all. I didn’t want to be naughty again but have been tempted on a couple of occasions when there’s lots going on in the fields around me.
Awww... Baby Pie

Complete this sentence: If I had opposable thumbs, I would…
… open the food cupboard door and serve breakfast earlier!

Who are 3 famous animals you’d most like to nosetap?
·         The Siamese cat out of The Incredible journey
·         Lassie
·         A Street Cat called Bob – He’s such a laid back character and I’m so proud of the fact that he follows me on Twitter. He’s my hero.

What is the most interesting place in the house and why?
I like to sit on the back of the sofa because it’s high enough to see out of two windows at once. I can keep an eye on the kitchen food cupboard, the front door and a perfect view down the garden. It’s not too hot but well padded which a cat of my senior years appreciates!

Have you ever caught a bird or something edible? Did you eat it?
Are you kidding? I have a track record of garden –takeaways to rival a major supermarket butcher’s shop. I even have my own poacher’s bag. I used to eat everything I caught but nowadays I tend to ‘drop it’ as my folks have taught me that they want them instead. I am happy to oblige (most of the time). I know the words ‘drop it’ and I obey. (usually…)
Lawn Pie

Do you have any health issues?
Yes, I was born with mild hip dysplasia. It’s were your hip joints aren’t tight enough in the place where they are supposed to be, so there’s a bit of ‘play’ in the joints. A lot of Alsatians suffer from this. I had to have a myelogram to establish it wasn’t a nervous condition. It makes me very unathletic and unwilling to jump. This is partly why I am overweight. As a kitten, I was reluctant to join in the games that involved a lot of swerving and jumping.

Do you like to be brushed, have your nails trimmed?
I do – not as much as my sister, but I do have a bath in a litter tray filled with cat shampoo etc once a year if it is warm enough. I comply with this willingly but I don’t like my head getting wet.
Sweet n Clean Pie

What is your relationship like with your veterinarian?
I like the v*ts I have met. I don’t think I’ve ever been upset by any one of them. They seem reasonable people to me. I’ve even had * coughs  and whispers* my anal glands emptied by them and I didn’t even squawk.

Do you like certain hoomans outside of your family?
I only know my nurse Lynn, from Pet Fit club and the video producer Keith Seward. He was SO kind to me when I was being photographed at PDSA hospital for my award after being TOP CAT Pet fit club 2011. I also liked Matt Stansfield. He was a very understanding photographer too. He took some amazing photos of me for the papers.

What are your favorite foods and toys?
In my naughty days, I used to like the green topping that is sometimes sprinkled onto Sweet & Sour chicken from the Chinese takeaways. I like that so much, I lick it off the carpet if they spill any. I also like most foods – tuna obviously.

Have you ever eaten anything that your hooman thought strange?
I’ve been caught nibbling the stale bread for the birds sometimes.

Have you ever chewed or destroyed something that upset your pawrents?
Nope – I did widdle on a king size duvet (bed spread) when I was a kitten. I did it twice and I was in mid-widdle when they picked me up. It went everywhere. *blushes * I was upset when I realized it was wrong and what I had done.

What is your birth date, or Gotcha Day date?
My birthday is on or around 30th October 2000 – I was a very late kitten.
My Gotcha date is on or around Christmas eve.
Mirror Image Pudding n Pie

Does your pawrents celebrate your special date? How?
We had a tuna cake once but I burned my nose sniffing candles so we didn’t do THAT again.

When did you join Twitter and what clubs do you belong to?
I think I joined Twitter around October 2010 and I belong to lots and lots of lists. Mainly I’m in the #wlf Whiskers Liberation Front, #BBOT Bad Boys of Twitter

What are you known for on Twitter by your Anipal furends?
I think I could safely describe myself as a ‘sensitive but loveably buffoon’ but I’d have to check what my pals think and get back to you.

Do you have a blog or a Facebook page? If so, please give the addresses and tell us what you write about.
It’s mostly all there on my webby:
Piethefatcat.com
There are some sound files there too and YouTube clips. I’m also on YouTube as PieXXL and Flicker.

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about you that I didn’t know to ask?
I have learned such a lot since I met my dear chums on Twitter. I love it there and I am always happy to support or help anyone who needs me, whether it’s with dieting advise or my own experiences.


NOW MEET PIE’S MOM, BRENDA SANDLAND
Brenda "works out" with Pudding 'n Pie


What type of work do you do?
Writing emails, boring technical articles mostly.

Are you an outdoor person, or an indoor person, and why?
I used to be an outdoor person as we took part in a lot of equestrian activities at one time. I tend to stay indoors much more now, but I’m more of a fair-weather gardener!

Do you blog or Facebook? Tell me about it and give addresses.
I do have a Facebook page but I don’t get to update it much.

What type of music do you enjoy?
A wide, wide variety Madness, Roxy Music, Stones, Arethra Franklin, Gorillaz, Black Eyed Peas, Van Morrison, John Martyn, Joni Mitchel, some classical too. Annie Lennox, Too numerous to mention really.

Do you travel? What is the most memorable vacation you’ve ever taken?
South East Asia – stayed in elephant sanctuary at Christmas time
Purrfect Pie

Tell me about your town and what makes it special to you.
It’s known for Salt and Ice Cream!

Who would you most like to have dinner with?
Prolly Spike Milligan

Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever experienced a ghost?
Nah. Although I did think I’d seen my beloved cat Toddy for a while after he’d gone OTRB

Tell me about your first pet, and how many have you had in your lifetime?
Flopsy my first cat lived grew up with me. She was 23 when she died. She would accompany me to school, crossing the railway line to do so. In my lifetime I've had 9 cats.

Why did you choose Pie to Tweet for instead of another pet?
He asked me to… and so did his sister.

What is your favorite time of day, and why?
Evening! Twitter time!

Do you have other Twitter accounts?
No I used to have one of my own but it got overtaken by Pie’s needs!

What is a typical day for you, starting when your pets want breakfast?
Get up early; moan about getting up early, measure meticulously accurate portions, present to grateful diners, shower, drink coffee, work, eat, work, measure meticulous portions, cuddle, tweet and nap… and repeat.

Hmmm. Sounds a bit like my house. Thanks so much Pie and Brenda for Intermewing. Yay!
Curly Pie

Don't Mess Wif Me!