September 20, 2012

MEET SPOOKY SHORTY


We all know our pal @SpookyShorty has been going through a rough time with lymphoma and now eye issues. Still, he's determined to make the most out of what life has given him, and we are thrilled that he's currently in remission. Keep going, pal, keep going!

Please welcome, SpookyShorty!



How old were you when you moved in with your family?

I was about 6 weeks old.

Were you a rescue?

No, some people found me wandering their hallway & took me in, but they had asthma & could not keep me, they gave me to mom.

What breed are you?

Panther! MOL I just a regular kitty

What inspired your hoomans to name you?

I was called "Little" then mom said cause I was all black with huge eyes I looked SPOOKY then I ignored that name so mom started calling me Shorty I liked that one [when I was naughty mom would say "SHORTS" I new I better cut it out MOL] 


Do you have siblings?

Yes, I only got 3 now, Momma, Corky & Peanut.

Do you get along?

I am an only cat MOL [they avoid me!]

How would you describe your personality?

"Sweet" "Lovable"

Do you have a mischief incident that is still talked about?

Yes, the time mom searched for me calling my name [LITTLE! that's why I didn't answer] I was in her new backpack it was just my size..

Tell me about an Awww moment.

According to mom every moment is an awww moment

Complete this sentence: If I had opposable thumbs, I would…

Still be waking mom up to feed me sticking my paws in her mouth

What is the most interesting place in your residence and why?

In the closet! It’s where I let my imagination run wild!!!!

Have you ever caught a bird or something edible?

Yes, bugs.

Did you eat it?

Yes, I ate a centipede or two. I do not recommend them-- very bitter & hairy.

Tell us about your health issues.

I am in remission from lymphoma, I also got an eye issue 1 vet says its from herpes virus as a kitten, other says its my eye lash turned inside after my cancer operation. Can I add my poop & gas issues too?

Do you like to be brushed, have your nails trimmed?

Oh yes, I even brush myself with moms brush I rub my face & chin on it & bite on it to "floss'. Yes I like my nails trimmed - I don't getting stuck in the covers

What is your relationship like with your veterinarian?

I got lots of vets, my regular vet is strictly business. My oncologist is more fun I have a great time with him.

Do you like certain hoomans outside of your family?

I like Anthony he's a good guy, he takes me for rides in his truck when I go to his house.

*Gasp!* I love trucks! You got to ride in one? I’m totally envious! Ahem! Okay, next question.
What are your favorite foods and toys?

I love wet & dry foods & treats Fancy Feast/Friskies [wet], Friskies/Purina one [dry] Temptations/party mix [treats] Toy: Catnip no question about that! & Furry mice!

Have you ever chewed or destroyed something that upset your pawrents?

No, cannot say I have outside of stepping on the keyboard deleting stuff..does that count?

What is your birth date, or Gotcha Day date?

November 13 1997 [Mom says I was her belated birthday present I get 2 birthday celebrations hers & mine]

Do your hoomans celebrate your special date?

Yes, Mom does. How? I get a cake with my name on it & I can lick the cream off it -FIRST- & I get lots of gifts.

When did you join Twitter?

Maybe Nov 2010?

What are you known for on Twitter by your Anipal furends?

My floppy ear & that I am a lymphoma survivor.

Do you have a blog or a Facebook page?

Yes I do have both. My blog is Spooky-shorty.blogspot.com, helpingpetsinneed.blogspot.com, and FB I am Shorty Spiro.

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about you that I didn’t know to ask?

I am honored to be in your blog & even more honored to be your furiend.  

Awwww. I feel the same, Shorty. Paw hugs! 

Okay, let’s now meet Shorty’s mom, Lillian Spiro!

Tell me about yourself, outside of your passion for animals, such as your family, hobbies and interests.

Outside of being Spooky’s mom, I have 3 other cats having lost 4 in 1 year. All I have left is a sister, we are not on speaking terms 99% of the time. Last time we spoke was my aunts funeral 2010.

What type of work do you do?

I am on unemployment, but I have worked overseeing people who hold going out of business signs & my last job was delivering condoms to venues throughout Manhattan, Bronx & Brooklyn. I also walked dogs & did cleaning apartments for many years.

Are you an outdoor person, or an indoor person, and why?

I guess a bit of both.. I love outdoors but do spend more time indoors.  I love the sun in the summer, walking, going to the park, sometimes riding my bike [its heavy & clumsy lugging it up/down 2 flights of stairs so I don't ride as much as I'd like] & as for indoors, I love reading, being on the computer, I love cooking, watching TV.

Do you blog or Facebook?

I admit Spooky’s very generous & allows me to use his blogs & Facebook account. He wants me to help spread the word about animals in need of adoptions or foster & get them off death row.

What genre of books do you favor?

True murder stories, horror stories, gothic romance [the type with governesses & mysterious crazy wives in attic].

What is your favorite book, favorite author?

The title eludes me! It was about a governess & it spanned a few generations from the time she went to live there to her grandchildren or great grandchildren.

What TV shows do you enjoy?

Drama, court shows, forsenic type. old comedies like Golden Girls & Everybody Loves Raymond & King Of Queens

Do you have a favorite movie?

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

What type of music do you enjoy?

Old time rock & roll, easy listening.

Do you travel? What is the most memorable vacation you’ve ever taken?

It was work related I went to Buffalo NY, Columbus Ohio, saw Lake Ontario -frozen over- missed Niagara Falls though. Went to Baltimore too [another job related trip]

Tell me about your town and what makes it special to you.

Manhattan is the spot to be, I guess being there all my life isn't as thrilling. Those who visit there will find there are so many things to see & places to go. I guess what makes it special.It’s the city that never sleeps any time of the day or night you can go anywhere.

Do you believe in ghosts?

Yes I do.

Have you ever experienced a ghost?

Not sure! After my partner died in '95 I once looked in the kitchen & saw him sitting at the table. Another time a cat I had back in '66 died & that night I felt him behind me [he had this habit of kneading his feet in my back gently of course] & I know he came back to me that night.

Have you ever traveled with Spooky?

Yes. It’s only been to the Bronx but for Spooky it’s always an adventure - he doesn't have a good traveling tummy.

Tell me about your first pet, and how many have you had in your lifetime?

Growing up we always had cats & Dogs & Parakeets. My very own pet was a cat Tippytoes sadly he died very young in '66 of stones. Back then if you could find a vet they didn't have these life saving surgeries either. 

Why did you choose Spooky to Tweet for instead of another pet?

Spooky was going through chemotherapy at the time, he had gotten some funding to get him through a few months. They suggested I try some fund raising & that's how Spooky got started. Danny also was Tweeting on twitter he still has his account

Do you have other Twitter accounts?

Yes, @spookyshorty, @shortyspooky [jail account], @dannyspiro22 @shortyspiro 

What is a typical day for you, starting when your pets want breakfast?

Be woken up by Spooky looking to eat which sets off a chain reaction Feed Momma, Corky & Peanut, scoop out boxes, give Spooky his pills. I usually check whats going on in twitter while [trying] to relax having coffee.  Mop & dust [mainly a daily chore keep dander down & shop etc -- clean up after Spooky if he has his gassy poop issues. 


Is there anything you’d like to tell us about you that I didn’t know to ask?

I only want to say I am honored to be asked to be in your blog & proud to be Spooky’s mom.

Thankew Spooky and Lillian! We love you!

Don't Mess Wif Me!