February 26, 2012

Meet Nerissa the Cat

When I had my #Virtual Prowl Pawty in January, @NerissatheCat came to my pawty and we got to be furends. I later found out she's a HE! His mom haz a good sense of humor!


Nerissa, did you always live with your family or were you a rescue cat?

Well…actually, I was feral.  I was born in a neighbour’s wood pile along with my sisters Constance and Beatrice and my brother Desdemona.  When we were four or five weeks old, my mama brought us to the peeps’ veranda.  We lived outside for the summer but by August of that year, I was in.  Then Des.  Then by Labour Day weekend, my two sisters joined us. 

Tell me about your siblings and how you get along with them.

I live with eleven other cats.  Yeah, it’s a lot!  Primrose, Snowdrop and Blossom are my aunties.  They’re littermates and are older than me.  In fact, they’ll be 15 this year.  Wow.  Then there’s my dad, Jacob.  He was abandoned in our subdivision like my mama.  But he lives here with us, now.  Beatrice and Constance are my sisters and, as I mentioned, my littermates.  I love them both very much.  They’re more skittish than I so I like to keep an eye out for them.  Tobias, Tess & Mason are my sisters by adoption.  Tobias was feral like me.  Tess & Mason were abandoned like my dad.  Seville & Rushton are my brothers by adoption.  They’re both marmalade cats and they were abandoned too…  but not feral.  I pretty much get along with everybody.  Tobias loves me to bits and always wants me to licka-da-top-o-da-head.  She follows me around like a puppy sometimes.  It can get to be a bit much at times but she’s really little and needs lots of loving up.  So I keep an eye on her, too.  Tess growls at me all the time.  I don’t take it personally though.   Tess growls at everyone.  Unfortunately, my mama Madison and my brother Desdemona are no longer of this world.  I know they watch us from heaven though.  I miss them.

Are you a snuggler or an indiffricat? 

Depends on my mood.  I like to snuggle with the peeps on the couch in the family room.  There, I purr and purr and purr.  Sometimes, peep #1 will pick me up in her arms and I’ll fall asleep right there.  But I don’t like to be peep handled too much.  Unnecessary picking up is frowned upon.   Sometimes it’s nice just to be close to the peeps without the picking up business.

What is your favorite form of mischief?

Hmmm….  I collect pens.  You can find my collection under the refrigerator.

Do you have a mischief incident that is still talked about with your family?

Well, there are those pens…  The peeps buy packages and packages of pens.  Whenever anyone is foolish enough to leave one on a table or counter, I just sense it somehow.  Next thing you know…  it’s under the fridge!  It’s like magic.  The thing about living with eleven other cats is that the peeps never really know who did what.  You can get away with a lot of mischief as long as no one ever catches you in the act.

Tell me about an Awww moment that made your mom melt.

She loves to see me looking after Tobias.  Toby will snuggle up to me and we look so cute together.  Also, I’ve heard, I look like an angel when I’m asleep.  Really cute, they say.

What are your favorite foods and toys?

I love Fancy Feast Grilled Chicken.  That’s my absolute favourite.  I insist that my regular food is always augmented with a little FF.  Treat Temptations are delish and I quite like a little Party Mix. No matter where I might be in the house, if I hear treats…  I’m there.    Every year, Santa brings each of us kitties little knitted biff-bags filled with the nip.  Those are amazing!  Oh, I love anything with good quality catnip.  And I enjoy a good acorn chase.  My mama taught me how to play with acorns that had fallen onto the driveway.  She didn’t have much money to buy toys from a store but she taught all of  us kitties how to play with acorns and leaves and little twigs.  Playing with an acorn now brings back fond memories of my kitten hood.  Good times.

What is your birth date, or your Gotcha Day date?

April 15th, 2003.  You might be wondering how my peeps know this.  They’ve told me that one day my mama was out and about the neighbourhood looking very preggers and then the next day she wasn’t looking preggers at all.  That’s how they knew my sibs and I had been born.

When did you join twitter and what clubs do you belong to?

I joined Twitter just last year.  Maybe in November?  Just after I started my blog, Nerissa’s Life.  I’m not sure that I belong to any clubs although my peep mentioned she signed me up for something on the internet but doesn’t remember what it was anymore.  What a peep!  Oh, but I finally made it to Nipclub the other night.  I couldn’t stay for long but had a blast. 

What are you known for on Twitter by your Anipal friends?

Well, a lot of them say I’m really sweet.  It’s that little beauty mark on my chin, I think.  Keeps me looking so young and kitten like.  And a lot of my Twitter friends think I’m a girl.  That’s ‘cause the  peep named me when I was still living out on the veranda and she didn’t know I was a boy.  She says, it’s a pretty name for a pretty boy.  It’s okay if my friends think I’m a girl.  I’ve been living with this name thing for quite some time now and I’m used to it.  And who knows?  I could start something new.  Maybe people all over the world will start naming boys, Nerissa.  There’s nothing wrong with that.  The peep says it’s a perfectly acceptable name.  Especially if you’re pretty, like me.

Check out Nerissa's mom's interview on my mom's bloggy: Kept by Cats.

Don't Mess Wif Me!