October 3, 2012

MEET JEFF MUSK



If you wear a silly wig on Wednesday because it's #WigItUpWednesday...you can thank @JeffMusk. In fact, my first wig was made by Jeff, who figured since I live near Elvis Presley's backyard, it seemed appropriate for me to look like him:

Anyway! Please welcome the awesomely talented turtle, @JeffMusk!
How old were you when you moved in with your family?

Dad bought me from flea market in Daytona, FL. I was a sort of turtle mill place, now outlawed. I was a baby.

What breed are you?

I am a musk turtle, water turtle. I can hiss stinky stuff like a skunk can. I can also breathe through my tongue, a newly discovered fact about my breed.


What inspired your hoomans to name you?

I was the size of a nickle when brought home hence, the president on a nickel, Jefferson Musk Turtle.

Do you have siblings?

I live in the same tank with Georgie musk who dad brought home in November 2012. There is two other turtles that live at my house in another tank. I get along with Georgie. I let him eat before me and take good care of him even though it was not the advice of the experts to put us together. They were afraid I would hurt Georgie accidentally but mom knew we would be okay. I do not get alone with the big turtles, they picked on me so I moved out.

How would you describe your personality?

A book description of me is, droll.

Do you have a mischief incident that is still talked about?

I escaped the tank when I was younger climbing the filter and jumping down about three feet and explored the house all day and our boxer dog, Daisy did not eat me.

Tell me about an Awww moment.

Mom says I stare her in the eyes and she thinks I can see into her soul just trying to tell her, more freeze dried shrimps.

Complete this sentence: If I had opposable thumbs, I would…

Help my friends more.

Who are 3 famous animals you’d most like to sniff?

Smokey the Bear, Chilly Willy and Killer Parrot.

What is the most interesting place in your home and why?

My turtlemancave because I can see outside both front to the mailbox and street and back through the kitchen window and trees and the TV and mom and dad on the couch.

Do you have any health issues?

Just my long life….I can live to be 30-50 years old.

What does your hooman do to maintain your physical beauty?

Sometimes I get a good scrubbing.

What is your relationship like with your veterinarian?

Never seen one, thank goodness.

Do you like certain hoomans outside of your family?

I like grandma @jpathair she takes care of me when mom and dad go out of town. I like the boy, my noshellbrother. He will take care of me if mom and dad go over rainbow bridge before me.

What are your favorite foods?

Favorite foods, freeze dried shrimps.

Have you ever eaten anything that your hooman thought strange?

I took a bite of a grape once. I have to eat underwater because my tongue has evolved for breathing underwater.

Have you ever chewed or destroyed something that upset your hooman?

I have a habit of rearranging my tank.

What is your birth date, or Gotcha Day date?

I have moved my birthday to May 23 because of Jeff Day last year when everyone surprised me by wearing same wig as me. It was one of the best days of my life and my real birthday is in November right next to Georgie’s so this will be better.

Do you celebrate your special date?

Yes, pawty.

When did you join Twitter and what clubs do you belong to?

I joined in August of 2011. Love twitter and my friends.

What are you known for on Twitter by your Anipal furends?

#Wigitup Wednesday’s. It started last year at Halloween when some friends and I were playing with silly wigs on animals. We all loved them and laughed a lot and after Halloween some wanted to keep wig, some ready to get them off because itchy. I suggested why not do it once a week to make humans laugh so #wigitup Wednesday was created. Mom is very impressed at the following it has accumulated but that is thanks to my wonderful friends who have wigged it up even when they did not feel like it because they care. Naming them @tillytumtum, @Stanley_dog, @kokotheturtle, @eripanwkevin, @presleybrixton, @jdpoohbear and a special thanks to @maggie68D who also helped reminding friends.

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about you that I didn’t know to ask?

I live in water full time but do not swim well at all. I walk across the bottom of the tank more like a Hippo. I also do not hibernate for the winter.

Now let's meet Jeff's mom, Ruth!

Tell me about yourself, outside of your passion for animals, such as your family, hobbies and interests.

Completely addicted to twitter. Love to read and write some stories. Have love for vintage cars. I am married of 25+ years and have one son.   

What type of work do you do?

Work in an OB/Gyn office doing insurance and some phlebotomy.

Are you an outdoor person, or an indoor person, and why?

Very much an indoor person have big allergies to poison ivy.

What genre of books do you favor?

Fantasy and Paranormal romance right now.

What is your favorite book, favorite author?

Hmm that changes over the years, big fan of Patricia Simpson but right now enjoying Rick Rhiodan, Percy Jackson series.

What TV shows do you enjoy?

Love sit-coms, Two Broke Girls, Big Bang Theory.

Do you have a favorite movie?

We bought a Zoo, Holiday, Pride and Prejudice

What type of music do you enjoy?

Everything from Gospel to Acid Rock. Don’t like Rap or Grunge.

Do you travel?

Yes, hubby is big about travel by car so see a lot of USA by car.

What is the most memorable vacation you’ve ever taken?

Have been to Niagra Falls once and took a lovely trip to Disney and went on Disney Cruise.

Tell me about your town and what makes it special to you.

Hmm, would not really call it my town. We moved here because of my husband’s job. We have been here long time but I work in a different town. You asking me this has made me realize that it’s not the place I would choose if I had a choice. It is the former Strawberry Capital.

Who are the 3 famous people you’d most like to have dinner with, and why?

Lucille Ball because she was such a wonderful business woman. George Burns because I would never stop laughing. Katharine Hepburn because her stories would be incredible. (Someones living in the past)

Do you believe in ghosts?

Yes and Angelic spirits.

Have you ever experienced a ghost?

Yes we believe we had a disgruntled spirit in our house we heard thumping up and down stairs for years and my husband felt bed jarred. This went on for several years until my grandmother passed and my son believes he saw my grandmother spirit in the kitchen. I believe she took the disgruntled spirit with her. My husband also saw several blue glowing spirits around me at a very trying time in our lives.

Have you ever traveled with your pet?

We brought Jeff home from Florida in our 1960 Oldsmobile Station Wagon. Jeff thought it was cool.

Tell me about your first pet, and how many have you had in your lifetime?

Had so many pets as a child; do not remember my first. Think my mom said I had a cat when I was about three. My dad used to bring home everything, chickens, ducks, turtles. Have had bunny, iguana, anoles, dogs and birds. Turtles are the best for me, love them.

Why did you choose Jeff to Tweet for instead of another pet?

Jeff is my baby, I love him the most. I love the way he travels the tank and looks at me in the morning.

Do you have other Twitter accounts?

Yes. @georgiemusk, @travelfishpurse and @shadowdust54

What is a typical day for you, starting when your pets want breakfast?

Turtles only eat once a day in the evening. I get up around 5:00 and get ready for work, drive and hour to get there and an hour back. Spend evenings at home with hubby.

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about you that I didn’t know to ask?

I love to help people and spread joy. I am an Rheumatoid Arthritis fighter and a Christian.

Thank you Jeff and Ruth. As always I love hearing about the life of our Anipal friends! Today Jeff and his mom encouraged us to wear pink wigs to support Breast Cancer Awareness. These are some of the wigs Jeff made for Anipals!


Don't Mess Wif Me!