October 22, 2012

MEET LUKA

Anipals, gather round, cuz I'm about to intermew another of my beloved furends, a real great kitteh named Luka. Please welcome @I_Am_Luka


How old were you when you moved in with your family? Were you a rescue?
No one is really sure how old I am. Mama and Uncle Rob think I was almost a year old when I adopted her on June 14, 2011 (Flag Day!). The stabbypeople all said I was older – anywhere from 3 to 10! – but now they are still saying 3-5. So the only two hoo-mons I will talk to are sticking with what they said…which make me going on 2 now.

I adopted Mama so that makes her the rescue. I lived outside the whole winter before deciding on her. Would sneak food off of Uncle Rob’s back porch, but not let either one of them near me.

What breed are you?
I am a Domestic Longhair…I look like a long haired Russian Blue. (Excuse me – that reminds me I need to groom. ::: takes time away from questions for a little grooming :::)

What inspired your hoomans to name you?
That was a big decision for Mama! She likes Oscar Wilde a lot so almost gave me that for a name. She also is addicted to “The Big Bang Theory” so tried to think of a Manhattan Project name since that’s how Sheldon named his cats when he had a clowder. She even asked @BillPrady about it on Twitter and he reminded her about that, as well as suggesting Oppenheimer. She thought that was a big name for a guy as little as I was then, so kept thinking.

Several hoo-mons told her I look like I am a Russian Blue and she’s a big fan of Russian names, so she put together a list of them and when she got to “Luka”, said “Aha!  That’s it!”

And since I am so youthful looking, my middle name is DorianGray…also a nod to Oscar.

It took her almost two whole weeks to name me!  Her friend Mildred (Freddy the dachshund lives with Mildred, but I digress) was getting mad at her…Mildred was afraid she was not going to let me adopt her!  Now I have Mama completely kitty-whipped. MOL!


Do you have siblings? Do you get along?
No siblings. I am an only child.

Of course, I do have my bruvver from anuvvermuvver, the one and only @PillsterCat. Head bonks, PC!

How would you describe your personality?

I am very nice and polite. I talk a lot and love to hunt. Mama says I am the bestest kitty she has ever met.

She is amazed because the only hoo-mon food I ever ask for is thin sliced ham she puts on a sandwich – and I am persistent about it. I usually get a little, though, since I don’t make a habit of pestering for her food.


Tell me about an Awww moment.

Mama says “aaaah” almost every day!  A few times that come to mind are when I said “MrowMruv Mu” and “Mama” for the first times. Also whenever I reach up and pat her face.

Now as for me saying “aaaah” about her – not so much. I have to be sly to keep her in line. It’s required she says “Izmahbabay” at least 20 times each sday.

Complete this sentence: If I had opposable thumbs, I would…

Tweet more!

Who are 3 famous animals you’d most like to sniff?

Schrodinger’s Cat
Sheldon Cooper (c’mon – he can’t be a hoo-mon!
and my Auntie @IsMeToo. Auntie is a hoo-mon and it would be an “I love you” sniff…but I really, really, really want to meet her in person!

What is the most interesting place in your residence and why?

The refrigerator – because nommy leftovers are kept there and I am not allowed inside it.

Have you ever caught a bird or something edible? Did you eat it?

Well, duh – I am a hunter extraordinaire!  The first recorded time of this was before I moved inside permanently. I was visiting Uncle Rob and my cousins about 10 o’clock one night. He texted Mama and said, “I think Luka just caught a mouse.”  She came outside to see my bounty, only to learn I had been rustling in Uncle Rob’s ivy and when I came out, the back half of a mouse was hanging out of my mouth. Next thing he knew I gulped and it was gone.

When I first moved in with her, she came home one day and I had left a present for her in the entry to the kitchen. (Her first stop when she comes home is always the kitchen to get food for me – we wouldn’t want me to starve, after all!)  A bigger mouse than the one I caught that other night. She put it in a safe place for me and it must be really safe because I haven’t seen it since.

Then there was the time she heard a sound like me running head first into the over door. I had a teeny tiny little mouse and was playing with it in the den by the time she came there from the bedroom. It was still alive and I had the best time. It finally wouldn’t play with me anymore and Mama said she was going to put it in the same safe place. So she got a paper towel, but when she came back, it was gone, and I had a “gee, my tummy is full” look on my face.

Do you have any health issues?

I’m doing really well right now, but have had some trips to the Kitty E.R. and doctor. L  The first was when I got way too hot last summer and moved in earlier than mama thought I would. I dehydrated badly the next week and had to spend the weekend in the Kitty E.R. I almost did it again about 4 months later and we went to the doctor. Dr. Ned gave me sub-cutie fluids and shots so I was not pleased with Mama for taking me there. I did really well until 5 months later when it happened again. I spent another day in the Kitty E.R. and was in and out at the doctor’s over the next week or so. This time Dr. Craig did lots of tests and they all came back OK, so we’re hopeful it’s just a sensitive tummy and stress causes my troubles. I am trying to be less tense when we vary from what I think is our normal routine, but it’s hard to break old habits.

Do you like to be brushed, have your nails trimmed?

I like to be combed and Furminated – but am fast to let Mama know when I’m finished. Have my nails trimmed? Puh-leez!  I won’t even let her look at my fingers and toes, let along try to trim my nails!  She says they need to be trimmed right now and not wait till my next check up, so I’m not sure how this discussion is going to end. I sense much negotiation ahead – translation:  me squirming and getting mad if she tries to get Uncle Rob to help her trim them.

What is your relationship like with your veterinarian?

MOL!  Sometimes I feel like I know them too well!  I really liked Dr. Laura at the Kitty E.R., but only met her that one time. Dr. Ned was nice except for that sub-cutie shot and making me eat special food. Dr. Denise seemed really nice, but she stuck me and made me go to sleep. When I woke up, I felt like something was missing and my voice seemed a little higher.

Dr. Craig – well, I probably know him best. I like him because he said I can eat what I want if I don’t eat too much of it and it stays down. However, like many hoo-mons, he fancies himself a bit of a comedian at times (or so it seems). Now when you read this next story, you must remember that I am an intensely private kitty, so this whole episode was mortifying. He examined me right after my first Kitty E.R. trip and seemed pretty nice…until he felt me up and announced to the room, “Well!  I thought you had probably been altered, but you are intact and have a nice little package there!”  I buried my face in Mama’s arm and she swears she could see me turn bright red through all of my fur!

Do you like certain hoomans outside of your family?

I run from everyone except Mama and Uncle Rob.

What are your favorite foods and toys?

TUNA!!!!!!  (Remember #TinaGate?)  And Evanger’s “Catch of the Day” that has whole little fishies in it. I love my Pit’r Pat treats and Fancy Feast Appetizers as snacks.

Mama said she thought it was so sad when she first met me that I didn’t know how to play. Really. But I do now!  I love to chase balls, red dots, feathers and climb trees when I manage to get outside.

Have you ever eaten anything that your hooman thought strange?

Not yet – it’s that polite thing about me.

Have you ever chewed or destroyed something that upset your pawrents?

No…am I too polite for my own good??

What is your birth date, or Gotcha Day date?

I adopted Mama on June 14, 2011 – Flag Day!

Do your hoomans celebrate your special date? How?

Oh, yes!  We’ve only had one so far, but I got presents and she set down a whole can of food for me to eat as much as I wanted!

When did you join Twitter and what clubs do you belong to?

I joined Twitter on September 8, 2011. I’m finishing my final exam for the Pawfleet Academy right now and hope to graduate soon. I am currently an Acting Ensign.

What are you known for on Twitter by your Anipalfurends?

Hmmmm…..I dunno... Maybe - Pawfleet…#TinaGate… 

Oh….maybe my abbreviation that is starting to catch on:  ROTFMOLLMTO = Rolling On The Floor Meowing Out Loud Laughing My Tail Off. I’m going to start putting a trademark sign after it. (ROTFMOLLMTOTM !)

Do you have a blog or a Facebook page? If so, please give the addresses and tell us what you write about.

Not yet. Mama let me start playing on Twitter because she said it wouldn’t take as much time. Showed her, didn’t I?

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about you that I didn’t know to ask?

I’d like to enlist everyone’s aid in convincing Mama to let me outside whenever I want, without the strangulator.

Well, good luck wif that, Luka. Let us know how it goes. 
Now let's meet your meowmy, SUE CAMP!

Tell me about yourself, outside of your passion for animals, such as your family, hobbies and interests.

Um…uh…I’m kitty whipped, so that about sums it up.

I do like going to live theatre and volunteer at one of the local ones. And music. And coffee. There’s always coffee.

What type of work do you do?

I currently work in fundraising for the local PBS and NPR stations

Are you an outdoor person, or an indoor person, and why?

Both – but probably considered more of an indoor person since I work so much, like books, like Twitter, like music…all that kind of good stuff.

Do you blog or Facebook? Tell me about it and give addresses.

Facebook – but Luka has taken over the online time at our house so haven’t been there much lately. www.facebook.com/sgfsue

What genre of books do you favor? What is your favorite book, favorite author?

I’m all over the place on this one. Biographies were hands down my favorite when I was a kid. Love harlequin type romances for escapism. Now I don’t really have one favorite type. It’s also difficult to choose one favorite author, but do have to say I enjoy Robert Rodi a LOT!

What TV shows do you enjoy?

The Big Bang Theory!! Also The New Normal and Criminal Minds. I miss Guiding Light, As The World Turns, Twin Peaks and NYPD Blue.

Do you have a favorite movie?

On the Town. I also love Four Friends and Ghost Story. I’m a huge musical fan.

What type of music do you enjoy?

Almost anything as long as whoever is doing it is doing a good job. Power Pop, Jazz, Folk, Broadway come to mind immediately.

Do you travel? What is the most memorable vacation you’ve ever taken?

Love to travel. Hmmm….several great trips. NYC is always fantastic, with Las Vegas coming in second. Had a terrific mini-vacation this year. Just hanging with a friend I hadn’t seen in a few years and chilling.

Tell me about your town and what makes it special to you.

How about the touristy things? Brad Pitt and Lukas Grabeel are from here; John Goodman, Tess Harper and Kathleen Turner (plus others) went to college here; Jake Simpson has been based here, too. It’s also the home of Bass Pro Shops.

Who are the 3 famous people you’d most like to have dinner with, and why?

Sarah Bernhardt – I’ve always been semi-obsessed with her and that time period in theatre and literature.
Craig Wasson – he was in Ghost Story, Four Friends, Body Double, and other movies, plus has made many TV appearances. Not sure why, his roles have just always interested me.
John Kingdon – he’s famous because he is the staff for @PillsterCat!

Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever experienced a ghost?

Yes and yes.

Have you ever traveled with your pet? If so, please give me an adventure story.

No…no story here. Move along!

Tell me about your first pet, and how many have you had in your lifetime?

Herky the parakeet came to live with us when I was tiny. We had a second parakeet, I’ve had four fish, several box turtles, one teeny turtle, a crawdad…and Tai. Tai was the most remarkable Siamese cat. He and I grew up together and he lived for a little more than 20 years. He was so special it took me that long before I let myself be adopted by another….the subject of this intermew, Luka.

Why did you choose Luka to Tweet for instead of another pet?

He owns me.

Do you have other Twitter accounts?

Yes – I am @scamp01. Again, though, like Facebook, it has suffered since the grey boy discovered his Twitter account.

What is a typical day for you, starting when your pets want breakfast?

Alarm goes off at 5:45a and it takes me awhile to wake up. (Understatement.)  I will sometimes wake up a few minutes early and Luka and I get to have some extra snuggles. Then it’s up for breakfast for him and coffee for me. He catches up a little on Twitter while I get ready for work. I try to come home for lunch when I can, but evenings are devoted to doting on him.

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about you that I didn’t know to ask?

I think we’re good. You are a good intermewer, Herman.

Yay! And thankew!
*Takes bow.*

Don't Mess Wif Me!