March 28, 2012

Meet ArlieJo

I iz a kitteh and never really met a dog before I joined Twitter. But when I met @ArlieJo I thought mebbe doggies weren't so scary after all. I really love ArlieJo. She's one of my furry bestest furends!

How old were you when you moved in with your family? Were you a rescue?
--My estimated age on Gotcha Day was 3-5 yrs. Mom saw me on Petfinder.com while playing Sav-A-Dog on Facebook.  I was pulled from a high-kill shelter in NC by a PA rescue group & transported to a foster home, where I lived for 5-6 months before mom & dad adopted me forever!

How was your mom inspired to name you?
--My foster mom, Arlene was already calling me "Arly," I spoze cuz it sounded kind of like her name.  Mom didn't want to confuse me by changing it, but changed the spelling to "Arlie," as she thought that was more girlie (whatever!).  Just a week after I left the foster home, my foster dad, Joe passed away (he was old & had been very sick).  Mom knew he loved me very much so she added "Jo" to my name in Mr. Joe's honor.  Miss Arlene was happy about that.  :)


How would you describe your personality? With your hoomans? With your siblings?
--I'm very sweet & kind, but mom says I'm also extremely moody.  I can be in a playful, happy mood one minute, then the next minute I prefer to be left alone.  I'm never rude or nasty & I don't EVER growl or try to bite, but I can be a tad standoffish.  Still, I LOVE being very close to mom & dad at all times.  Laying next to mom on the sofa right now as she types this for me.  :)  Sadly, I don't really know how to play, so mom figures no one socialized me when I was a pup.  I do LOVE to chew on my bones & Kongs though. :)  I don't have any human siblings, but I do have a brofur kitty named Creemie.  We get along just fine & dandy & even snuggle sometimes.  He likes to chew on the tips of my ears & I let him.  I had a beagle brofur named Speedy who was already old, deaf, blind & sickly by the time I came to live here.  He wasn't so crazy about me, so we stayed out of each other's way.  I still kind of miss him though.

Do you have a mischief incident that is still talked about with your family?
--Um well, even though I just said I don't growl or try to bite, I have to confess since you asked.  When I was very new to my furever home, my blind/deaf beagle brofur accidentally hopped right on me while I was sleeping on the sofa.  Not only did he scare & shock me, but he also mashed down on my very sore toe.  I thought I was in mortal danger so I attacked him.  I grabbed his neck & wouldn't let go.  Mom was home alone & was screaming, crying, throwing things at me, trying to get me to turn loose.  She thought I was going to kill poor Speedy.  She finally just grabbed my jaws & pried them apart, knowing I could maybe bite her too.  Anyway, I settled right down then, but there was blood everywhere.  Mom was a wreck!  She called the vet & was all hysterical, telling the office manager to be ready for us.  Her hands were shaking so bad she could hardly drive, plus she was afraid I'd attack Speedy again in the car.  (I didn't.)  Anyway, I didn't have a scratch on me, & Speedy's neck wounds were superficial, mostly because he had very thick neck fur to protect him.  We had to see the "mean vet" that mom doesn't like & you know what he told mom?  He looked her right in the eye & told her to find me a new home!!!!  WTH?!  Well, mom told him in no uncertain terms that I was NOT a bad dog & she wasn't about to give up on me that easily.  And you know what?  Speedy lived another 1 1/2 years & I never so much as snarled at him again.  So, mom has told friends & family about the "incident," but it truly was just a freak thing.  Still can't believe that stupid vet told mom to get rid of me. So, that's my "bad Arlie" story. :(

Tell me about an Awww moment that made your mom melt.
--Gosh, there have been oodles.  I'm such a nervous, fearful little dog, so every time I do something the least bit brave, Mom could almost cry.  I think the first time I sat in her lap & laid my head on her chest like a little baby, she just about lost it.  And when Mom saw how proud I was the first time I hopped up on the porch swing with her & Dad, she was so excited for me.  You see, the simplest accomplishments like that are important for me, as they boost my confidence.  

Do you have any health issues?
--I'm in very good health, although I have a rare autoimmune disease that only affects toenails.  It's called Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy (SLO).  It's actually a dermatological disease, since nails are extensions of the skin.  It's a freaky condition where nails will suddenly break, split, splinter or even fall off.  It can be so severe that people have their dogs PTS, either out of laziness or because they can't find a way to control their dogs' pain.  Mom took me to see a fancy-schmancy Veterinary Dermatologist near Washington, DC awhile back & he agreed that everything my vet is doing is appropriate.  I'm the first & only SLO case my vet has ever seen, & many regular vets have no clue what SLO even is.  Seems to affect a great number of Greyhounds, Labs & Shepherds, so not sure why my little Jack Russell-self got it.  BOL!  Anyway, I have to take fish oil supplments daily, as well as rounds of Cyclosporine from time to time.  Mostly, the condition stays dormant, although a nail broke & started bleeding today so I was licking my foot a lot.  Mom had to give me some Tramadol for the pain.  I'll be fine in a few days though.  :)

Do you like to be brushed, have your nails trimmed?
-- I LOVE to be brushed, but because of my SLO, I can't tolerate having my feet handled.  My toes/nails are extremely sensitive so the vet has to give me sleepy meds & cut them short every few months.  

What is your relationship like with your veterinarian?
--Well, that is a sore subject right now.  Me & Mom LOVED our vet so very much!  She's the kindest, most compassionate, caring vet mom's ever met.  Two days before my last nail appointment (February), the vet's office called & told mom Dr. B abruptly left the practice.  They can't tell us where she went for contractual reasons & mom's been trying to find her, but we think maybe she's taking some time off.  We KNOW she would have called mom because they were pals before mom even had me, but Dr. B could get in big trouble (breach of contract) is she reached out to clients.  Dr. B was an employee of the "mean vet" I mentioned earlier, who owns the practice.  We feel pretty sure Dr. Meanie did something to really tick Dr. B off & that's why she left so fast.  Just not like her to bail on her patients.  So, we now need a new vet unless we can find Dr. B.  Very sad about that.  Sorry to ramble, but I loved Dr. B so much!!

Do you like certain hoomans outside of your family?
--Oh, yes! I LOVE my Grandma very much.  She lives right up the street & comes to see me when mom & dad are working.  She comes over around 1:00 & we take a nap together on the sofa, then she gives me treats & goes back home.  But honestly, I like all humans & wag my tail at everyone I see.  

What are your favorite foods and toys?
--I'll do anything for a baby carrot!  That's my #1 favorite thing in the world & mom buys 2 lbs a week just for me.  Dad sneaks me some bites of cheese & Goldfish crackers nearly every day, even though mom tells him to stop.  I'm not a toy girl, as I will destroy any toy I'm given, but I totally love my Nylabones & Kongs.  I love to chew, chew, chew!

What is your birth date, or Gotcha Day date?
--Birthdate not known, but Gotcha Day is 2/5/10.  

When did you join Twitter and what clubs do you belong to?
--Let's see, I think I joined Twitter between Thanksgiving & Christmas 2011, so just a few months now.  A Twitter pal told me about Dogster, which sounded like fun, so mom started a page for me there right around Christmas.  Unfortunately, she just doesn't have time to log-in & chat with pals there.  And she'd love to make a Facebook page for me or do a bloggy, like Herm & many other pals do, but she knows it will just add more stress to her days, always feeling like she's behind on everything.  She's in awe of the humans who find time to blog, Facebook, Tweet, etc, & thinks maybe she's just too slow.  HA

What are you known for on Twitter by your Anipal furends?
--Hmmm, gosh that's hard to say.  My pals would have to answer that one, I think.  :)


I can answer that: ArlieJo is a fun furend and makes me laugh. Meet ArlieJo's mom on my mom's blog: KeptbyCats.


Don't Mess Wif Me!